Motherhood and pregnancy are joyous events in any woman’s life, but they can also result in unwanted changes to your body. Luckily, a Mommy Makeover can restore your former confidence and give you the body you remember.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Mommy Makeovers have become one of the most popular procedures in the last decade due to their ability to improve concerns in several areas of the body at once. This significantly reduces downtime, recovery and surgical costs.
How Do Mommy Makeovers Work?
A Mommy Makeover is a procedure that involves multiple surgeries at once to improve the overall look of the breasts, tummy and other problem areas that lack elasticity and store excess fat.
The recovery is generally more intense, but the total amount of recovery time is less since it is all happening at once. A Mommy Makeover delivers drastic results to save both time and money.
Your Mommy Makeover may include one or several of the following:
- Breast augmentation to restore fullness and lost volume
- Breast lift for sagging skin and improved overall shape
- Breast reduction to lift and reduce the size
- Tummy tuck to tighten and remove excess fat
- Abdominoplasty to remove excess skin from the lower tummy and lift the butt, hips and thighs
- Liposuction for the spot removal of excess fat
Why Do We Need Mommy Makeovers?
Pregnancy often results in sagging breasts, loose tummies and unwanted fat in areas where there previously was none. Even more frustrating, losing weight and toning the muscles become much harder after pregnancy and with age.
Many women diet and exercise to tone muscle and become slimmer. While these may work to an extent, they cannot give the drastic results that cosmetic procedures can to completely get rid of the excess fat and skin.
What Does a Mommy Makeover Treat?
Mommy Makeovers achieve a wide assortment of benefits, such as:
- Restoring elasticity to sagging breasts
- Enhancing small breasts with implants
- Reducing large breasts by removing excess fat
- Slimming the waist for a tighter abdomen
- Spot removal of excess and stubborn fat from most areas of the body
- Improvement of diastasis recti from pregnancy
- Reducing back strain and pain
- Lifting the buttocks and reshaping the thighs
There are many other concerns that a Mommy Makeover may treat. If you don’t see your specific concern listed, one of our trained medical staff at Biolite Dubai can discuss if a Mommy Makeover is right for you.
Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
You may be a candidate for a Mommy Makeover if you meet the following criteria:
- Want to tighten, tone and remove unwanted fat on the body
- Have no preexisting complications
- Are physically healthy and cleared by a doctor for surgery
- Are at a stable weight with no recent weight fluctuations
- Are not pregnant, breastfeeding or may become pregnant following the procedure
- Have realistic expectations about the results and understand that scarring is possible
- Can arrange for aftercare help following your procedure
- Have someone available to drive you home after you leave the hospital and stay with you for the first few days of your recovery
How Should I Prepare for a Mommy Makeover?
One of the most important things you can do is to research and look at patients’ results from a Mommy Makeover. Familiarize yourself with the standard preoperative instructions, the steps of the procedure itself and what you should expect during recovery and aftercare.
It’s helpful to look at before and after results to get a realistic idea of what to expect. Look at other patients with similar body concerns to see what a Mommy Makeover may be able to do for you.
As you do research, make a list of questions to ask during your consultation. It’s important to feel comfortable with the procedure and go into it knowing what to expect. A Mommy Makeover can be quite intense since multiple surgeries are performed at once. It’s important to discuss your aftercare plan with your surgeon and make sure you have someone to care for you.
When you come in for your consultation at our Dubai office, your surgeon staff will thoroughly review your medical history and discuss your body goals and go over any concerns you may have. A physical examination will be performed, and you will be cleared for surgery. Afterward, the medical professional will take this information to create a specific treatment plan that is customized for your body.
You will be given a list of instructions after your consultation to follow leading up to your Mommy Makeover. It’s important to understand these instructions and follow them closely as they directly affect your health and the final results of how well your body responds to the surgery.
What Should I Expect From My Mommy Makeover?
The following is a simplified list to give you an idea of the general steps during a Mommy Makeover:
- Patient checks in to our Dubai Clinic and meets with the surgeon
- Surgeon will review the plans and make any prior marks on the patient’s body
- Patient will be taken into the surgical room
- The patient will receive general anesthesia to be put under during the procedure so nothing is felt
- An antibiotic may be given to prevent infection
- During the procedure, multiple surgeries will take place depending on the areas being targeted
- Surgeon will make incisions in the relevant areas and perform their respective procedures
- The procedure lasts between two to six hours
- Surgeon will stitch any incisions closed and place tubes for drainage of fluids and excess blood
- Bandages may be placed and you may be fitted with compression garments
What Should I Expect During A Mommy Makeover?
You can expect the following during a Mommy Makeover recovery process:
The Week Immediately After Surgery
Activities: Bedrest and no showering. Keep the area drained and clean of any fluids. Your doctor will advise you on whether or not you should lie at an upright angle.
Side Effects: Pain and swelling of the area are normal. A blood-thinning medication and pain relievers may be prescribed by the surgeon. You may be told to change out the bandages.
Precautions: Supportive abdominal garment, compression sleeves, and/or a compressive bra is worn. No bending over or positions that put pressure on the incision lines. Be careful when moving around and avoid any lifting.
Weeks Two to Six
Activities: Be careful when moving around and stick to light activities. Showering may be resumed once drains are removed after the first week.
Side Effects: Light pain and swelling
Precautions: Your supportive abdominal garment and compressive sleeves/bra should still be worn for the following weeks as advised by your surgeon. Avoid positions that strain any incision lines such as bending to prevent the reopening of the wounds. Avoid any lifting.
A follow-up visit with your doctor will take place. They will advise you on any continued aftercare and clear you to resume as normal. Depending on the severity of your procedures and how your body responds, your doctor may advise you to follow the previous precautions for more than six weeks.
What Kind of Results Can I Expect From a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy Makeover surgery may not give noticeable results at first due to swelling, inflammation and the inability to hold the body’s posture as normal until recovery is complete. Final results can be seen in two months and take up to a year.
With tummy tucks and breast reductions, scarring on the incision line is common. The surgeon will place the incision line in places where it will be less obvious, such as under the breasts and below the pubic bone during tummy tucks.
Final healing of scars from a Mommy Makeover may take several months up until a year to fade as much as they can. It’s important to follow all aftercare procedures to reduce any strain on the areas to allow for maximum recovery and results.
Ready to Start Your Mommy Makeover Journey?
If you think you are a candidate for a Mommy Makeover, then call our office today at +971 4 346 6641 to schedule a consultation with one of our trained medical staff. You can also fill out our online form to receive a call back at a later date convenient to your schedule!